X11 Apps work on the recently announced Bash on Ubuntu on Windows!
- Host OS running latest Windows Insider Preview with Windows Subsystem for Linux enabled with Bash on Ubuntu on Windows
- Open Bash on Ubuntu on Windows
- Ensure Xming is running
- In Bash prompt, enter “export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0” to connect to Xming host over TCP/IP and enable UI apps from Bash
- Install x11-apps with “apt-get install x11-apps”
- Try running various x11 programs by appending “&” to run in the background – Example:”xeyes &” (Full list of programs included in x11-apps)